President Trump and First Lady Melania Visit Texas to Survey Devastation from Deadly Floods



President Donald Trump and First Lady Melania Trump traveled to central Texas on Friday, July 11, 2025, to assess the devastation caused by catastrophic flash flooding that struck the region over the July 4 holiday. The disaster has left at least 129 people dead and more than 160 still missing, marking one of the deadliest inland flooding events in recent U.S. history.


Arriving in San Antonio before continuing by helicopter to Kerrville, the epicenter of the disaster, the president was joined by Texas Governor Greg Abbott, Senators Ted Cruz and John Cornyn, and other state and federal officials. The Trumps met with first responders, local leaders, and grieving families who lost loved ones in the floods. President Trump described the scene as “hard to believe,” noting that century-old trees had been uprooted and entire communities along the Guadalupe River had been transformed by the floodwaters. “I’ve never seen anything like this, and I’ve seen a lot of bad ones,” he said during a roundtable discussion in Kerrville.


The flooding, triggered by torrential rainfall that caused the Guadalupe River to rise more than 26 feet in less than an hour, swept through camps and homes in the Hill Country. Among the worst-hit was Camp Mystic, a girls’ summer camp where at least 27 children and counselors perished. The search for the missing continues, with more than 2,100 responders from local, state, and federal agencies combing debris and riverbanks for survivors and victims.


During his visit, President Trump praised the efforts of emergency personnel and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), despite previous suggestions from his administration about reducing or dismantling the agency. “FEMA is on the ground, with multiple emergency response teams and capable individuals managing FEMA,” Trump said, while also facing questions about the administration’s preparedness and the speed of the federal response.


Governor Abbott commended the federal government’s “swift and effective” assistance, stating, “We would not have been able to achieve what we did without your dedication to Texas. I understand your affection for our state, and Texas reciprocates that sentiment." However, FEMA officials and local authorities acknowledged that bureaucratic hurdles, including new rules requiring personal approval from Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem for contracts over $100,000, delayed the deployment of some search and rescue teams in the critical early hours of the disaster.


The president’s visit came amid mounting scrutiny over whether adequate warnings were issued before the floods and whether recent cuts to the National Weather Service and FEMA may have impacted the disaster response. Trump dismissed criticism, calling the recovery efforts “incredible” and defending the actions of both state and federal agencies. “This has been remarkable, truly, the work you all have accomplished,” he said, adding that critics were merely seeking to exploit the tragedy for political gain.


As recovery operations continue, the scale of the loss is becoming clearer. Kerr County has reported 96 fatalities, including 36 children, with many more still unaccounted for. The region remains under a federal disaster declaration, allowing for direct aid and support for rebuilding efforts. The tragedy has prompted renewed calls for improved flood warning systems, updated hazard maps, and enhanced mitigation measures to better protect vulnerable communities in the future.


President Trump and the First Lady departed Texas after several hours, leaving behind a community still reeling from unprecedented loss but determined to recover. The ongoing search for the missing and the challenges of reconstruction will test the resilience of the Hill Country for months to come.

Next Post Previous Post





sr7themes.eu.org