Maresca Affirms Commitment to Chelsea Amid Manchester City Succession Reports

Chelsea head coach Enzo Maresca has dismissed mounting reports linking him to the Manchester City managerial position, labelling the claims "100% speculation".

During a scheduled press briefing on Friday, the Italian emphasised his dedication to his current five-year contract at Stamford Bridge, seeking to end several days of uncertainty regarding his future and his relationship with the Chelsea hierarchy.

The rumours intensified following reports that Manchester City has included Maresca on a shortlist of potential successors to Pep Guardiola.

With Guardiola’s current tenure nearing its conclusion, Maresca’s previous experience as City’s Elite Development Squad coach and his role as Guardiola's assistant during their 2022-23 season have made him a focal point for succession planning at the Etihad Stadium.

"It doesn’t affect me. It’s 100% speculation," Maresca stated. "There is no time for this kind of thing. I have a contract here until 2029. My focus is just about this club. I’m very proud to be here."

The Italian’s remarks come at a sensitive time for the West London club. Earlier this week, Maresca faced scrutiny after refusing to clarify comments that some interpreted as a critique of the support provided by Chelsea’s ownership.

While those comments fuelled theories of internal friction, Maresca used Friday’s appearance to pivot the narrative back to the pitch ahead of Saturday’s Premier League clash against Newcastle United.

"It’s important to understand the reason why this news was there," Maresca added, dismissing the reports as a distraction. "It’s not my job; I don't care at all. The players are focused on Newcastle. One week ago, it was the same thing with Juventus. I don’t pay attention because I know it’s not true."

When asked directly if he could guarantee his presence at Chelsea for the upcoming 2025-26 season, the head coach offered a definitive confirmation.

"Absolutely, yes," Maresca replied. "I have a contract until 2029. This is speculation, 100%. I don't have nothing to add. If we continue to talk about it, it means I'm paying attention. I'm just focused on my job."

Post a Comment

Please Select Embedded Mode To Show The Comment System.*

Previous Post Next Post