Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar on Tuesday reaffirmed his pledge to restore a targeted fuel subsidy if elected president in 2027, arguing that Nigeria is wealthy enough to shield citizens from rising living costs.
In a statement posted on his X account, Atiku said his position “has not changed and will not change: I will restore it.” He insisted a nation “as blessed as ours has no business abandoning its citizens to hardship” and that national wealth should be measured by what money in people’s pockets can buy, not by government collections.
“I want wages to have value again. I want farmers to move produce without transport swallowing their profits. I want families to fill their baskets without emptying their pockets,” Atiku wrote. He linked fuel price increases under President Bola Tinubu to higher transport and food costs, calling it a “wretched chain” that has defined national life for nearly four years.
Atiku stressed he would not revive the old import-based subsidy system. “I will not restore the import racket; I will restore relief.” Instead, he proposed supporting Nigerian production, reducing energy costs and restoring purchasing power. He restated the commitment while receiving the Osun State leadership of the African Democratic Congress in Abuja.
The declaration comes amid ongoing debate over the impact of subsidy removal announced by Tinubu in May 2023. Atiku has previously said he initially did not oppose the policy but now questions where the reported savings have gone. Government officials have stated that subsidy removal and naira reforms generated significant federation revenues, though critics argue the benefits have not reached ordinary household
Atiku closed by promising to make the naira “worth more,” make daily living affordable and deliver economic and physical security. “That is the Nigeria I intend to build,” he said.
