FC Barcelona midfielder Rodri has publicly apologized to Valencia CF players, management, and supporters after broadcast cameras recorded him describing the opposing squad as "very weak" during a domestic league fixture.
The controversy arose following Rodri's substitution in the 62nd minute of Barcelona's 5–0 victory over Valencia at Mestalla. Television footage captured the 30-year-old midfielder conversing on the bench with teammates Pau Cubarsí and Raphinha. Spanish broadcaster Movistar reported lip-reading comments in which Rodri expressed surprise at Valencia's performance, stating, "They're really weak. They haven't got past the halfway line".
The footage quickly spread across social media, drawing criticism from fans and Spanish news outlets. Following Barcelona's subsequent 5–1 UEFA Champions League victory against Feyenoord, Rodri addressed reporters to offer an unprompted clarification and apology.
According to reports from Goal.com, Rodri personally contacted Valencia captain and Spain international teammate José Luis Gayà to apologize directly to the club.
"I had a phone call with my friend José Gayà and apologised to him and the whole squad," Rodri stated. "I want to make it clear that it was an expression of surprise; anyone who watches the video can see that at no point did I intend to mock or take any team out of context".
Rodri emphasised his respect for Valencia and acknowledged the nature of off-camera dialogue in modern broadcasts.
"I hope Valencia return to their rightful place as one of the best clubs in this league," Rodri added, "It was a private conversation. We should all learn that sometimes things are taken out of context, but at no point did I intend to be disrespectful".
The Catalan club maintains its place near the top of the La Liga table as focus turns to upcoming domestic fixtures.

