US Visa Revocation Leaves Wole Soyinka Shocked, Questions Reason for Ban

Nobel laureate Professor Wole Soyinka has revealed that the United States government has revoked his non-immigrant visa, preventing him from travelling to the U.S. The playwright and activist made the disclosure during a press briefing held on Tuesday, October 28, 2025, at Kongi’s Harvest Gallery in Lagos.

Soyinka said he received official notification of the visa revocation in a letter dated October 23, 2025, from the U.S. Consulate General in Lagos. The letter stated that his B1/B2 visa, typically issued for temporary business or tourism visits, had been revoked under the authority of U.S. Department of State regulations due to new information that emerged after the visa was issued.

The 91-year-old laureate expressed surprise and confusion, saying he was unaware of any legal or factual basis for the action. “I’m still looking into my past history... I don’t have any past criminal record or even a felony or misdemeanour to qualify for the revocation,” Soyinka said. “Have I ever misbehaved toward the United States of America? Do I have a history? Have I been convicted? Have I gone against the law anywhere?” he questioned.

Despite the ban, Soyinka stressed he harbours no ill will toward the American people or the nation. “I have no visa; I am banned, obviously, from the United States. And if you want to see me, you know where to find me,” he added, pledging to continue welcoming Americans in Nigeria and speaking out on issues of justice globally.

The U.S. Consulate has requested Soyinka to present his passport for physical visa cancellation in Lagos, but no official explanation has been made public for the revocation. The incident follows Soyinka’s vocal criticisms of certain U.S. policies in the past, though he did not explicitly link the ban to these views.

Next Post Previous Post





sr7themes.eu.org